Sunday, April 02, 2006

 
Feller 1981 -2000
Recent blog discussions have reminded me of a cat who chose to live with me. This is a poem I wrote when Feller died.

One spring day you came into my life,
I heard your cry and called for you,
You came running into my arms,
And lived with me for nineteen years.

Fur was black with toes and breast of white,
Face and neck always needed a scratching,
Appetite for food and milk and popcorn, too,
Meows so bold and purrs heard everywhere.

Stared and meowed asking for a lap,
Found the softest place to sleep and dream,
And the warmest spot where sunshine fell,
Curled up with paws across his eyes.

Helped my husband find earthworms after the rain,
Patiently let the night's mud be washed off,
Crawled into a sack to hide, wait, pounce,
Froze every muscle while watching the string.

Accepted the dog but remained the boss,
Knew when I needed a cat to comfort me,
Loved everyone and welcomed all who came,
Roamed the great outdoors but always found home again.

I wish I could include a picture but my scanner is not working just now. Maybe later.

Comments:
I enjoyed your poem about Fellar your cat...I have written cat poems, but not as well as you.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?